1. Welcome. We have only just upgraded so there may be a few little niggles and issues! Please let us know when you find them! And enjoy the super shiny new forums

advice please

Discussion in 'Tech Questions & How To Guides' started by ep82, Jul 29, 2013.

Advert:
  1. ep82

ep82 New Member

Hey everyone

I was just wondering if someone could give me some advice to pass to my cousin.

Basically he has a UK Evo VIII 260 and he needs to get it tuned up.
    Can anyone tell me if the standard ECU is mapable? He just need to tune it up so it now runs safe.

His mods are blitz sonic air filter
    HKS super dragger exhaust (turbo back I think)
    Blitz boost controller (SBC I think)
    He did have the apexi power FC but he 'apparently' fried it by jumping the car by connecting the wrong terminals on.

He used to run 300 bhp with this setup with boost running 1.5 bar.
    Can anyone tell me if this is safe? I have been telling him that is abit OTT as most of my turbo cars I have had only ran max 1.2 bar. I don't know how much boost can the evo 8 engine and turbo can take.

He is now running the above mod with a standard ECU and he wants to map it so it runs safe and right. Can anyone tell me what boost he should be running and what type of ECU he should be running if the OEM one is not mapable

2. DDS789

DDS789 Well-Known Member

Simon@NTS and RsvRob like this.
  3. RsvRob

RsvRob Well-Known Member

300@ 1.5bar
    That's a poor map. Should be seeing around 350bhp

Turbo and engine fine @ 1.8bar and upto 400bhp

4. Simon@NTS

Simon@NTS Trader
    Trader

Stock evo 8 260 I would have though 360+ @1.8 bar

5. ep82

ep82 New Member

So 1.5bar is perfectly safe for the 260?? Wow. that just sounds alot

Also. Does he need a new ECU to get the car running right? If so then which one would you guys recommend?

6. RsvRob

RsvRob Well-Known Member

Read the tread you've been advised to read......

7. ep82

ep82 New Member

Oops my bad. Forgot to check out the topic

8. Simon@NTS

Simon@NTS Trader
    Trader

Stock ecu is fine mate

9. ep82

ep82 New Member

Sweet. Thanks for the info.

Unfortunately we live down south I am in Dorset and my cousin is in glos. Otherwise we would pay you a visit

10. Simon@NTS

Simon@NTS Trader
    Trader

And @ FCM is best bet

11. dazman

dazman New Member

Got a 260 in the family running 360 on "stage 1" map. As long as you do the downpipe, pump, 3 port and get someone who knows what they are doing the 260 is a great place to start from.

You are lucky to be down-souf cos Andy @ Veysport, Wareham can sort you out.

12. ep82

ep82 New Member

yeah I have been trying to get hold of Andy at veysport but they are on holiday :(

360 from stage 1?. man that sounds awesome

13. dazman

dazman New Member

Holiday? How dare he lol.

The big problem with the 260 is the twin cat arrangement - one in the downpipe and other in the "normal" position. Trouble is the 2nd cat has flange that is at a different angle so you cant just whack on the downpipe from other Evo 7-9 and leave the 2nd cat in. You either have to bin both cats (decat pipe for 2nd one), get special 260 downpipe without 1st cat or replace downpipe and 2nd cat for Evo 7-9 versions.

Our 260 was mapped with both cats removed (as we had spare Evo 7 cat on the shelf for MOT's) and you can have duel maps on your ecu too. One high boost and on low boost or maybe one with pops-n-bangs to impress the corsa drivers in Tesco's on a Friday night lol.

The power is good but it's only for pub talk. It's the torque that makes it fun especially when you leave it looking standard and p!ss off the Audi S4 drivers lol.

14. RsvRob

RsvRob Well-Known Member

Both cats have to be removed for mapping...

15. tommy's320

tommy's320 New Member

do these cars not do 100 or 200 cell cats?

16. dazman

dazman New Member

You dont have to but cats restrict airflow quite a bit so having 2 of them makes it twice as bad.

If you're going to the trouble of remap etc you really should remove the downpipe one at least. So, if you're replacing the downpipe (3 inch if you can get it) you will most likely have to replace the secondary cat due to the flange differences. Leaving the cat(s) in will reduce power by 20hp and wont be able to have the pops-n-bangs or you'll destroy the cat pretty quick.

Also, on the subject of pops-n-bangs the 260 doesn't have the secondary air system (SAS) which is used by the other 7-9 versions to induce a sort of anti-lag sound. To get it to work on the 260 they will only have fuel and timing so it will not work as well/often/cosistantly. I'd leave that off and use the 2nd map for low/standard boost for when you let the Mrs drive ;-)

Also, as an added bonus, we got an extra 5mpg on average when remapped.

17. RsvRob

RsvRob Well-Known Member

Cat's need to be removed to get accurate afr readings when remapped. Otherwise you'll get incorrect readings.
    You probably get better mpg due to the map your running. It's not automatic because you have a 260 model.
    Many have no SAS system fitted and have no issues with there pops/bangs.

18. dazman

dazman New Member

I've known cars mapped with cats and even seen a 400 plus running with perminant cat so it can be done if you have th right tuner.

SAS on the other models is activated to get the pop-n-bangs to trigger more consistantley on the overrun and, on mine at least, went off like a machine gun. 260's never had the SAS so some have complained they cant get pops-bangs at all and others only when feather the throttle on over run.

My better MPG was down to 2 things. The UK cars (260 included) overfuel as standard and getting the map correct means less waste. Also, the increase in torque meant less gear changes so I went from 18-20mpg to 25-28mpg. This was consistant with both 7 FQ300's and the 260 running with no cats and stage 1 rolling road tune.

19. RsvRob

RsvRob Well-Known Member

Do you tune/map cars?!

20. dazman

dazman New Member

I only dabble and have done my own and families. Evos, VAG turbo and diesels mostly. ECU swaps, turbo swaps, AYC, suspension. Pretty low level stuff.

You into tuning?