1. Welcome. We have only just upgraded so there may be a few little niggles and issues! Please let us know when you find them! And enjoy the super shiny new forums

Advise/help on evo 8

Discussion in 'Evo Chat' started by bent, Dec 21, 2014.

Advert:
  1. bent

bent New Member

Hi guys I am hoping you wouldn't mind helping me out, finally the misses has caved and said I can treat myself in the new year.

So just after some advise on what to look out for, common faults on the evo 7/8s. Not sure weather I would be going for a FQ or not don't know enough about them yet, just searching the internet and seen what tickles my fancy at the min.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Ben.

2. Billy MR

Billy MR Well-Known Member

FQ cars are uk cars.

Ideally best off getting a genuine getting a MR FQ 320/340

Better engine, better spec

3. bent

bent New Member

Ok thanks, anything I need to look out for i.e rotten arches, bat tray, common leaks etc ?

4. andyw08

andyw08 Active Member

Make sure you dont have the three lights on the dash (tarmac, gravel, snow) as ayc pumps arnt cheap, make sure there are no noises from the gearbox or the transfer box, mine had a weird noise on over run (letting off the throttle while still moving) anyway mine cost me over £2500 to put right! So in my personal opinion the transmission is the weak point, but knocking/clicking suspension joints can be a pain to find, generally the engines are very strong

5. D1andonlyantman

I'm going through the ayc drama now. No pump when I bought the car (supposedly had a mechanical rear diff) and for a used pump and rebuild I'm looking at 1500 quid all in. That's not a quote, I'm about to pay for the rebuild and fitment. If I didn't laugh I'd cry lol ah well, that's life, shit happens. What was your over run issue? I think my gearbox might have seen better days too but with the mods I've got I've accepted a new gearbox might be on the cards at some point

6. bent

bent New Member

Brilliant thanks guys, first time I have heard about these ayc pumps sounds expensive!.
    Hopefully going to view a standard Evo 8 not FQ in the new year when I am back in the UK if it hasn't sold by then.

Thanks though appreciate the advise.

7. andyw08

andyw08 Active Member

D1andonlyantman..... have you bought a pump yet? I found mine on the international ebay ( not just uk ) it came from greece and got it for £150!! Fully working, the bleed tool you can buy off svengali on here....comes with all instructions. Then all you need is atf fluid......my noise on over run was like a metalic sound as if there was play in the cogs, it was like a ' ching ching' sound ha ha

8. D1andonlyantman

Yeah the pump has just been rebuilt and will be gettin fitted soon, although I've just found out that it's possible the car has got a mechanical rear diff inside the standard casing which is why the ayc and acd was disconnected from the ecu, so I've got no idea what that means in relation to me getting my ayc all sorted. This is getting out of hand lol

9. Billy MR

Harry Motorsport rebuilds AYC from 250

10. D1andonlyantman

Mine was 700. It needed everything. Seals, bearings, a solenoid, even the motor was screwed. It wasn't a nice phonecall to receive, I was expecting around 500...

11. Billy MR

A extra £200 ain't a lot to be honest mate, if some one quoted me 500 I'd expect to see a bit more of a final bill

12. D1andonlyantman

It's 858 fitted, I just didn't want to exaggerate the price, and considering it cost me 550 for the pump, another 850 to get it all working was a tough pill to swallow lol

Billy MR likes this.
  13. Billy MR

Don't buy a range rover sport tdv8 if you don't like big bills!

6k supplied & fitted 2 turbos
    2.9k supplied alternator fitted

That's peanuts!

14. D1andonlyantman

Jesus, that's brutal! Expensive mods don't bother me so much, I've spent a lot on the engine, but spending loads getting the car how it should be in the first place is not my idea of money well spent. hey ho, that's how it goes sometimes I guess.

15. Billy MR

Yep I have a impreza spec c which I owned for a few months, it owes me a fortune!
    Any think fast and performance are money pits

16. andyw08

andyw08 Active Member

how come you paid 550 for a pump that didnt work?! iv got a ****ed one in my garage, its got three working solenoids aswell.... i paid 185 for one solenoid and 90 for rebuild kit but didnt make pressure when built so its just sat there, it was propper corroded tho, i cut the heads of the bolts so it would come out easier and it still pulled the threads out of the body....so i bought another :( but like i said i ended up finding one cheap :)

17. D1andonlyantman

I didn't, I actually paid 700 for a supposedly fully working one off an 8 from France, looked absolutely mint, even the guy fitting it said he was surprised it didn't work. I hasssled the guy for a partial refund and after some tooing and throwing managed to get 150 out of him, thinking after a rebuild it would hopefully leave me sitting around the grand mark, but that wasn't the way it panned out.

And billy, you're not wrong about the money pit thing. Just last week I started getting a knock from the front end that is progressing nicely into a pretty big clunking sound, so that's another thing I'll have to get looked at. It's lucky I can laugh the shit off and just think of it as working out the creases on a new (to me) car. Did I mention the rear quarter I'm getting resprayed on the 5th of January because a big arse stone chip in the arch is not looking healthy so needs some attention.... my mates dad owns a spray business so it's not costing me a fortune, but it's certainly not cheap either

18. andyw08

andyw08 Active Member

is the clunking sound when you go round corners like a cv joint going? i had this on my car and it wasnt the driveshaft....put a set of bilstiens on last week and its not done it since (touch wood) id heard of the front shocks causing a clunking when turning and got offered a full set of shocks and springs for 100quid so couldnt say no, and its worked (hopefully) and what website did you buy the pump off??

19. D1andonlyantman

Yeah I was thinking it could be a cv joint because it does only happen when I turn, although it's not a constant knocking, it seems to only do it once per turn which makes me think maybe it is the suspension or something like that slightly shifting in it's joint

20. andyw08

andyw08 Active Member

yeah check the bushes and all tham gubbins, its a bugger to find clunks and knocks on these cars, i need rear diff bushes now