EVO x brake shudder

S

steeler

My EVO x is 3 years old now. ive had it for 6months.
Im sure it seems to be shuddering when i brake which doesnt feel right.
My mates Focus RS stops sharply, and mine compared to this feels rubbish!
just not their strong point or could it be the disks is warped or something....?

also a minor thing, but im seeming to have to put the air con on all the time to clear the bottom of the front window when im driving along. Always steams up!

Rugslasher

Rugslasher

More than likely crap pads as its hard to warp the X discs and it should be very sharp at breaking so I recon it's the pads ,put some good pads in :D as for the misting up ,has it had a heavy valet in the past that has left it a bit moist :confused:

S

steeler

yeah cheers, gonna get them looked at. also the misting seems to have cleared so must just have been from me cleaning the windows a bit too much!
next stop, induction kit...

S

steeler

its shuddering bad now under braking. Someone said i should get a new set of pads and discs for the front. They look ok to me from the outside! seems a bit extreme?!
whats a reasonable price for them? just the pads first do you think? or should i get both..?

mart1983

mart1983

it really depends on how much life are left in the discs? regarding price! its really down to what you want to pay out for them,there is so many out there and what they are used for.. track,road and so on! i wouldn't put new pads on discs that are only gonna last a few thousand miles!!!!

Last edited:
S

steeler

well its a 10plate, and only done 19k. cant imagine it should need another set?!
the bloke before me hadnt modded it either so dont believe he went mental in it.
im not going to bother with track days so just want a normal set i suppose?!

mart1983

mart1983

you getting any abs problems! i mean if you braking hard it aint engaging the abs! does the light flash?

mart1983

mart1983

got this over the road mate... have a read!

If you haven't read my previous posts I have an 08 Evo X bought about 3-4 months ago only 6200miles on the clock and looks like its been a garage queen all standard.

After a few hundred miles I started to get brake judder, the feeling of warped discs . It got progressively worse and after attempts to give the brakes a good work out it become worse still.
Under normal driving the judder was detectable and when pressing on it got massively worse as the brakes got hot. Even to point of shaking the dash and steering wheel violently and sometimes making it very difficult to turn into a corner.

Obviously I'd been reading all the threads with other Evo X owners with similar brake judder problems but they claimed not to drive hard at all so I didnt really know what to do.

So last week I took the plunge after speaking to Ian @ Carbotech and ordered some XP8 front pads. Straight away after fitting them the judder was much worse under normal driving. Thats good I thought as it does indicate it may well be this mystery pad pickup thing I'd read about. So on with the Carbotech bedding in guide 8 stops, 4 hard, 4 very hard. To my dismay judder was still there, I was more than a little pee'd off at this point so decided to make a proper job of putting some heat in them. A good couple of ton ++ (private road obviously) stops filled my nostrils with the stench that is Carbon Ceramic pad frying. I then just cruised around letting the brake cool for 15min and just parked up for the night still gutted.

In the morning I drove out but the normal driving braking judder had gone! After getting the brakes hot and working them it came back violently DOH! As I did brake after brake I noticed I could push through the judder and it smoothed out. As I trailed the brake pressure off the judder became worse...weird. At this point I was imagining other possibilities for the problem and spoke to Ian again @ Carbotech. I sent him pics of the discs and he was encouraged by them my description and urged me to put more miles on the brakes using them more than normal.

I didnt really believe this mystery pad pickup could make such a violent judder but its turned out to be spot on.
I've put 120miles of abuse on the brakes and the judder is all but gone. Under normal driving I have zero judder, once the brakes are really up to working temps and I trail the brake pressure ie going into a corner I can detect the slightest of vibration. If it stays like this its not any problem at all but I suspect with a few more miles this will go as well.

It really would appear to be the standard Brembo pads then causing the brake judder issues on the Evo X. Even with normal miss daisy driving it would suggest that uneven pad transfer is possible and thrashing the pads doesn't work either. I did notice the std pads looked to be falling apart when I removed them still with tons of meat left on.
As it took a good 100miles of thrashing to clean my discs up with XP8's it would explain why Don Seabrook's brakes didn't respond when he and Ian experimented with there less harsh Bobcat pad over a much smaller mileage.

Big thanks to Ian Carbotech for the help and I'm so relieved my judder problems are behind me. The XP8's are leagues apart from the standard pads in terms of braking performance

Rugslasher

Rugslasher

With mine it was cheap pads that mitsi put in that were causing hot spots (blue patches ) on the discs ,this is what caused the rumbling as it grabs more on the cooler parts of the discs ,I'm now running yellow stuff and find them great :D

S

steeler

hmm ok, some things to think about there. cheers lads. ill start with a new set of pads then. where shall i get them from and roughly how much am i looking at?

Rugslasher

Rugslasher

It cost me £200 ish for my yellow stuff ,front & rear on eBay as traders were asking more ,I've heard good things about xp8 pads as well :)

S

steeler

just seen this on EBC brake shop.com ..
EBC Yellowstuff Brake Pad DP41210R2008 - 2013DP41210R 476 in stock £157.32.

Assume thats for the pair...?!!?!?

S

steeler

reckon i might just go for the red ones? im not gonna do a track day in it, so no need for the super duper ones?!

Rugslasher

Rugslasher

reckon i might just go for the red ones? im not gonna do a track day in it, so no need for the super duper ones?!

Don't do it mate the yellow stuff are the medium ones ,red are ok for a corsa,fiesta etc ,as there's red,yellow,blue,orange :D

S

steeler

i rang someone earlier at a highly regarded place and he said dont bother with those yellow stuff ones, they are good if you like max power etc, but you want better ones!
quoted me 600 incl discs for his ones.
i wish i had stuck to my Seat Leon, had it for 6 years and it never cost me a penny!!

Rugslasher

Rugslasher

i rang someone earlier at a highly regarded place and he said dont bother with those yellow stuff ones, they are good if you like max power etc, but you want better ones!
i wish i had stuck to my Seat Leon, had it for 6 years and it never cost me a penny!!

It's your cash mate ,but if I was a trader I'd say don't buy them buy mine :awesome: the yellow ones are only fast road pads, other pads of the same price are heat sensitive which won't work until hot ,had mine for nearly a year now and they work well cold & hot with no fade ,and my X is a daily car with the kids in most of the time,but as I say it's your cash

supamario666

supamario666

Trader
Trader

Welcome to the world of Evo's!!! Completely miles apart fella:)

S

steeler

someone else on here just said he had a shudder and 4k miles later its sorted itself out and doesnt do it anymore!!
haha argghhhh