1. Welcome. We have only just upgraded so there may be a few little niggles and issues! Please let us know when you find them! And enjoy the super shiny new forums

My EVO 5

Discussion in 'Members Cars' started by dessimpson, Jan 29, 2012.

Advert:
  1. dessimpson

dessimpson Active Member

Right. This was the car when I bought it.
    18" Revolution Millenium's. Blitz Nur Spec exhaust. BC coilovers.

I hated the 18" Revolution wheels (and the R888's were proper scary in the wet :blush:)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Got a set of 8 MR alloys
    [​IMG]

Like an idiot I got them refurbished in white :sad:
    [​IMG]

Hated them so got a set of enkei WRC Tarmac's
    [​IMG]

I've also sprayed the rear spoiler black (needs doing again as I did a half arsed job of it!)

Changed the rear badges to black
    [​IMG]

Put some stickers on the spoiler (to hopefully detract from fact it's a slightly different colour to the rest of the car ;) ) Just need to replace the rear door stickers now.
    [​IMG]

I've also replaced the rear lights with evo 4 lights and the all red garnish thingies. Decided I didn't like that so went back to the originals.

Plans for the future are:- New clutch (booked in at indigo-gt on the 6th Feb)

Sort the bodywork. Some prat has dented my passengers door so it'll need replacing/repairing. My front passenger wing has a split in it but I have another spare wing in the garage.

I'm also toying with the idea of spraying the skirts and the bottoms of the boot/bumper black? Unsure how it would look though :hm:

2. evoaps

evoaps Well-Known Member

Those revolutions would have looked good in white

You should the bits wrapped in carbon mate :)

3. fq-craigus

fq-craigus Well-Known Member

Looks mint buddy nice job

4. saddler

saddler New Member

wow thats nice.. red 5's are sick

5. B6lee

B6lee Community Leader

Nice mate. Rare too being red :)
    Yea I'd like the clear top garnish lights for mine. :)

6. dessimpson

dessimpson Active Member

The 18" revolutions ruined the handling. The car used to tramline everywhere. They seemed to me to be a really heavy wheel!

I decided I wanted 17"s again so got the 8 MR alloys. I really liked them until ill I got them refurbed them in white. Keeping them clean was way too much work.

The enkei's came up at quite a good price so I went for them (even though I was a bit wary of 5 spoke alloys). They could do with a refurb as there's brake dust under the lacquer but they'll have to wait till I've finished doing my little pug 106's alloys. They should be a doddle as there's no kerbing on them at all.

I also had a set of (nearly) new IX alloys for over a year but never fitted them and sold them last weekend.

I just wish I hadn't given away all the spares I had for my old 5 when I got rid of it. Saying that. I've got a spare spoiler blade, headlights, indicators, evo 4 rear lights, evo 4 garnish lights and a bunch of other odds and sods still cluttering up my garage :)

Really tempted to go with the red/black theme though. Paint all the skirts, bumper bottoms and wing mirrors black and get some black door handles. I think it'd look pretty good :thinking:

7. evoaps

evoaps Well-Known Member

Yeah mate I know the feeling of the heavy wheels I had a car once that used to do the same and I went back to enkei s too :)

Them wheels you sold looked mint

8. dessimpson

dessimpson Active Member

New clutch fitted today at indigo-GT.

After a quick adjustment of the pedal the car is now a dream to drive.
    I had been getting some clunking noises from the front of the car. Seems my drivers side wheel wasn't too tight.
    In fact, it was missing one of the nuts and the remaining ones weren't tight at all :eek:

9. Jas Lad

Jas Lad New Member

Shame the revo's didnt work out for you , they are an amazing wheel id love a set in grey for my 8

10. B6lee

B6lee Community Leader

you were lucky then :shock:

Woodlehouse likes this.
  11. dessimpson

dessimpson Active Member

Very.

Fortunately I haven't really driven it much in the past few months. I did use it over christmas when my little pug was waiting for its new exhaust. Fortunately again I was pretty drunk most of the time so didn't drive it much :)

12. dessimpson

dessimpson Active Member

I think they'd be fine for an 8. My personal opinion is that 18"s are just too big for the 4/5/6's.
    I cringe when I see people running 19"s on them :sad:

13. Jas Lad

Jas Lad New Member

Yea 19s are taking the piss! Would love to see grey 18s on mine but funds dont allow!!

14. dessimpson

dessimpson Active Member

Well. The car failed the MOT on Monday due to excessive movement in the ball joint on the nearside tie rod :(

I've ordered two new ones. Two new track rod ends (might as well as they're so cheap) and a couple of new gaiters.

Unfortunately I'm going away for a couple of weeks so will have to pay for the MOT all over again.

I had took the car to Protyre in Gloucester on Saturday to get the tracking done as it was pulling a bit to the left. £50 later and it was still pulling to the left.
    The MOT bloke said it was a disgrace that they hadn't noticed the movement in the arm as that's where they would have been adjusting it to do the tracking.

I'm going to have to go back there though as nowhere else local can do it as my car is quite low :mad:

Will be taking the copy of the tracking setup and the MOT failure just 2 days later and will be demanding it be done for free this time!!

15. dessimpson

dessimpson Active Member

Was fitting an HKS air filter to the car in the garage the other night and only half finished the job.
    Left the boot open and now my battery is flatter than a witches t!t :(

Halfrauds for jump leads tomorrow it is :blush:

On a side note: How the hell do you get the bolts off the MAF without ruining the bolts on the airbox???
    That's twice I've done that on 2 different EVO'S!

16. dessimpson

dessimpson Active Member

Got the HKS filter fitted (after leaving the boot open in the garage all week and flattening the battery!!)

[​IMG]

Also fitted some LED No plate bulbs that I've had in the glove box for about a year :blush:

Before (left) After (right)
    [​IMG]

Fitted an LED reverse light I got at the same time.

[​IMG]

Car sounds pretty good with the filter. Even though the cat is on at the minute :)

17. AdamIV

AdamIV New Member

I like this car, even liked the white wheels.

18. dessimpson

dessimpson Active Member

I liked the white wheels too. Just didn't like cleaning them :)

I've just had 4 new tyres delivered today so I'm trying to figure out if I can be bothered to refurb the enkei's this weekend, before getting them fitted?

I'm thinking either gloss black or maybe a dark bronze colour :thinking:

19. m7gsr

m7gsr New Member

Looks v good :)

20. dustinr

dustinr New Member

Have not seen many red 5s,, Your one looks sweet liked the white wheels too