1. Welcome. We have only just upgraded so there may be a few little niggles and issues! Please let us know when you find them! And enjoy the super shiny new forums

Noisey engine tapping/ticking ? (Video)

Discussion in 'Tech Questions & How To Guides' started by adamski64, Sep 19, 2015.

Advert:
  1. adamski64

adamski64 New Member

Hi all,
    I'm looking for some advice on the noise my engine is creating, I did a service before a track day then after the track day on my way home the engine started tapping/ticking.
    I got told it was the hydraulic lifters (tappets) so I went ahead and replaced them with new 3mm ones, with new hks filter and fully synthetic oil I started the engine got it upto temp then held the revs for the oil pressure to build up, but the noise is still there.
    I then got told it was a manifold gasket so off I went again got myself a japspeed tubular manifold with new gaskets and fitted that and removed the sas pipe, started her up and still this noise persists, now maybe I've been impatient and haven't give the lifters enough time to settle or have crappy gaskets on the manifold but I'm getting frustrated and just want it sorting as I'm dying to drive my evo,
    Any help and advice is much appreciated.
    Thanks for reading guys.
    Ps it's an evo 4 with 5 engine and 7 turbo.

2. Chrisher

Chrisher New Member

It could be gearbox rattle. Does it stop when you step on the clutch?

3. fq-craigus

fq-craigus Well-Known Member

Noisy release bearing? Or tappets? Doesnt sound pronounced enough to be too serious

4. pukkasilvia

pukkasilvia New Member

If you dont have a oil pressure gauge fitted you need to go get the oil pressure checked on it at a garage as soon as possible

Did you used to own a S12?

5. Moe

Moe New Member

Hi Adam
    I have just swap my skyline with evo 4
    And I have exact same problem as urs it make the same noise as use never had evo and I am wondering if you fix urs
    And wht was it
    I was hoping it just need service as my oil look absolutely dirty
    I have no lights on my dash