Re: Ah... FFS

HermaN

HermaN

As said, pin 4 is just earth, so earthing to the chassis will work just fine. If it doesn't then I suspect pin 1 is not properly connected somewhere along the line. Sounds like you've had a bit of wiring done on your car in the past!

RsvRob

RsvRob

Pin 1 is Green wire ... ground that to put into diagnostic mode. If wires have been removed the existing wire may not be the correct wire.

steveo

steveo

Pin 1 is Green wire ... ground that to put into diagnostic mode. If wires have been removed the existing wire may not be the correct wire.

Thanks Rob,

I have tried this today and it has not worked :confused::confused:....

As a last resort i have just contacted a Mitsubishi Ralliart dealer, and am waiting for a call back to get the car booked in and looked at :hm:....

Gonna be expensive me thinks.... :(

Will let you know how i get on.

steveo

steveo

..... Car's going in tomorrow @ 2.30pm.:)

They have informed me that they will have a diagnosis by around 4pm "give or take half an hour"

Fingers crossed i should know by tomorrow......

steveo

steveo

Right.... just got back from mitzi dealer.... looks like there has been some re-wiring.... the diagnostic couldn't read the fault code as the wiring is 'all changed'....:confused::confused:

Cars got to go back in next week to have all the wiring checked, traced and re-wired :hm:......

why would this be changed?? 2 hours labour charge already......:mad:
It's going in all day next week..... 'oh dear' just want her right again......

Will update when I know more.

HermaN

HermaN

I wouldn't get the stealers to re-wire it, take it to a proper good reliable independant auto electrician, will prob work out cheaper than the stealers and get a better job done too.

Wiring diagrams are in the service manual for them to reference to. If you are good with wiring, you could always do it yourself. As for why it's changed, I have seen some REALLY shady wiring in some cars coming over from Japan, you would think that being the most technologically advanced place on earth they would know how to wire, but it appears quite a few of their bodges end up here for people like myself to sort.

example...

before pic, 23 out of 48 wires melted together!! Luckily it never cought fire. :shock::shock:

After my hard graft :)

Last edited:
steveo

steveo

I wouldn't get the stealers to re-wire it, take it to a proper good reliable independant auto electrician, will prob work out cheaper than the stealers and get a better job done too.

Wiring diagrams are in the service manual for them to reference to. If you are good with wiring, you could always do it yourself. As for why it's changed, I have seen some REALLY shady wiring in some cars coming over from Japan, you would think that being the most technologically advanced place on earth they would know how to wire, but it appears quite a few of their bodges end up here for people like myself to sort.

example...

before pic, 23 out of 48 wires melted together!! Luckily it never cought fire. :shock::shock:

After my hard graft :)

Holy Sh*t!!! That could have caused a serious fire!!!OMG :disgusted:

Nice tidy job in sorting it out though :D :D

Unfortunately when it comes to cars (mechanics & electrics) im not very good, i cause more problems than solutions !!

I've now cancelled the main "stealer" appt and have got a local car sparky to have a look.... :).

steveo

steveo

Right... Got the Fuel filler neck replaced and spark plugs changed yesterday...:) :).

Just a quickie.... With the car up "to gain access for the fuel filler" The AYC pump sits roughly behind the rear wheel. With the engine running im assuming the pump should be working full time....mine isn't :confused:..... (Putting 2 n 2 together im gathering this is why the AYC light is now on.)

Im going to order a new pump either today or tomorrow ready for fitting on Friday. Is it just a case of swapping them over and replacing the fluid???

Also, What fluid do i need to top it up??

Thanks
Steve

cpt jack sparrow

cpt jack sparrow

Hi Steve,

If you ever need some help or some one to bounce ideas off you can always pop over to me, have a fair few tools and a double garage.

Know my way around a car, But can't say I will be able to solve everything.

Common car sense in my way of working.

I am also in NN10 so very close.:awesome::awesome:

Paul

B6lee

B6lee

Community Leader
no the pump will not run full time only when required.
you really need the fult code to find out the problem
as for ordering a new pump then i hope you have a strong heart and a big wallet. think they are around 2-3k for a dealer :cry:

i bought a second hand one that looked to be in good condition and on the understanding that if it didnt work once fitted he would refund me. turns out it was a bargin and works fine.

expect to pay anywhere from £200-£400 for a second hand pump
i was lucky cos its a bit of a gamble using second hand pumps, try find the cleanest rust free example you can !!

Right... Got the Fuel filler neck replaced and spark plugs changed yesterday...:) :).

Just a quickie.... With the car up "to gain access for the fuel filler" The AYC pump sits roughly behind the rear wheel. With the engine running im assuming the pump should be working full time....mine isn't :confused:..... (Putting 2 n 2 together im gathering this is why the AYC light is now on.)

Im going to order a new pump either today or tomorrow ready for fitting on Friday. Is it just a case of swapping them over and replacing the fluid???

Also, What fluid do i need to top it up??

Thanks
Steve

steveo

steveo

Hi Steve,

If you ever need some help or some one to bounce ideas off you can always pop over to me, have a fair few tools and a double garage.

Know my way around a car, But can't say I will be able to solve everything.

Common car sense in my way of working.

I am also in NN10 so very close.:awesome::awesome:

Paul

Hi Paul,

Thanks for this :D, very much appreciated.. Thankyou.

As soon as she's up and running we'll have to meet up....:awesome:
Steve

steveo

steveo

no the pump will not run full time only when required.
you really need the fult code to find out the problem
as for ordering a new pump then i hope you have a strong heart and a big wallet. think they are around 2-3k for a dealer :cry:

i bought a second hand one that looked to be in good condition and on the understanding that if it didnt work once fitted he would refund me. turns out it was a bargin and works fine.

expect to pay anywhere from £200-£400 for a second hand pump
i was lucky cos its a bit of a gamble using second hand pumps, try find the cleanest rust free example you can !!

OMG!!! I hope it aint the pump now!!!:disgusted: Didn't think a pump would be that expensive!!!.

I should know the fault code by the end of tomorrow, as soon as i have it i'll let you know.

Thanks
Steve

HermaN

HermaN

You could always run with an open diff until you can either afford to get the pump replaced, or afford an RS rear diff setup.

When the AYC light is on all it means is you have no AYC and have a bog standard, open diff that will send the power down the path of least resistance.

For example, have 1 wheel on mud and 1 wheel on tarmac, an open diff will send the power to the one on mud and the one on tarmac will stay still. An RS diff is a proper mechanical LSD with no need for a pump.

I am currently running with no AYC on my car and TBH, unless you REALLY, REALLY push it you can't tell the difference. When I get a spare £1500 I'll buy an RS conversion kit from neverneverman on MLR.

The kit consists of the diff itself, and driveshafts. Also, to make it fit right the prop needs to be shortened slightly, because the RS prop is shorter than a GSR proper. If you can get an RS prop is will just be straight swap of the diffs, and if your diff comes off in working order you can sell it for about £500, so the conversion is more like £1000. That way you never, ever have to worry about AYC again and you have a proper mechanical LSD that is also stronger than the AYC diff.

steveo

steveo

Thats some serious stuff HermaN... Trouble is that sounds like a major job!!

Im gradually learning with my car as im starting to do work on it with my m8 who is a very highly qualified mechanic (in his own right) that is when he has spare time and patience with me :)... and when i can get time away from work....

If i had the time and patience i would probably go down this route but i'll wait and see what happens tomorrow before i make any decisions...

Thankyou for your continued and very much appreciated advice.:D

Steve

B6lee

B6lee

Community Leader
I've ran an open diff due to failed pump since I got my car in November but now it's done and with 500bhp I now have loads of grip cos when it was wet or greasy out it would just spin in second gear.

steveo

steveo

I've ran an open diff due to failed pump since I got my car in November but now it's done and with 500bhp I now have loads of grip cos when it was wet or greasy out it would just spin in second gear.

Now im confused....:confused:

As soon as my AYC light came on i have resisted to drive her, through fear of causing more damage....

Can she run without this then? Lee, have you uprated to the RS Diff??

B6lee

B6lee

Community Leader
Now im confused....:confused:

As soon as my AYC light came on i have resisted to drive her, through fear of causing more damage....

Can she run without this then? Lee, have you uprated to the RS Diff??

It'll be fine steve. As long as you leave everything in place such as the pump itself.

You'll loose some of your grip out of the corners and will have a tendancy to spin a wheel but other than that it's fine to drive.

No I just bought a second hand pump cos rs diff conversion is to much money for me right now.

steveo

steveo

It'll be fine steve. As long as you leave everything in place such as the pump itself.

You'll loose some of your grip out of the corners and will have a tendancy to spin a wheel but other than that it's fine to drive.

No I just bought a second hand pump cos rs diff conversion is to much money for me right now.

Oooooh, Thats great news. I been worried for a few weeks now.....
(will let u know what happens tomorrow after the re-wire)

RS conversion way to much for me too:blush:

Thanks Lee :awesome:

B6lee

B6lee

Community Leader
Oooooh, Thats great news. I been worried for a few weeks now.....
(will let u know what happens tomorrow after the re-wire)

RS conversion way to much for me too:blush:

Thanks Lee :awesome:
No probs :)

steveo

steveo

Right!!! Cars back :) and all the wiring is now completed. :D

The fault is coming up as the rear drivers side ABS sensor is not working / faulty!! Just checked the price from Mitsubishi ££££ OMG robbing #unts!!

Any ideas where i can get one of these from??

Thanks