1. Welcome. We have only just upgraded so there may be a few little niggles and issues! Please let us know when you find them! And enjoy the super shiny new forums

Red tme "race" car build thread

Discussion in 'Members Cars' started by Tom2741, Jan 5, 2014.

Advert:
  1. Tom2741

Tom2741 Active Member

Bit of a small update for tonight.

After using the car for pretty much everything over the last week or 2, I've managed to rack up 500 miles so have done another service. More revs will be being used now upto 1000, when I can start using some proper boost once mapped fully!!

On another note, the wife also bought me this tonight!

[​IMG]

Hope to get a few videos with it soon and there will be lots of track footage coming over the year. Just need a roll cage mount and I'll be away.

Tom

2. Billy MR

Billy MR Well-Known Member

Who's mapping it Thomas

3. supamario666

supamario666 Trader
    Trader

Looking Fantastic Now Tom! Loving it!

4. Tom2741

Tom2741 Active Member

Depends on time restraints to be honest. I'll probably map it safely so it's making ok power etc. then if I get time I'll go see simon.

When I cross over to SD I might take it to Lee5, unless simon wants to do it, as I can't get my head around some of the processes in SD. It might be easier when I'm actually doing it and reading the explanations though.

And thanks!

Billy MR likes this.
  5. Tom2741

Tom2741 Active Member

Off to the fast show tomorrow for a bit of chav watching and a pi55 up. Gave the car and much needed clean and clay. I wanted to polish and wax it too but ran out of time due to my poxy insurance company deciding my mods are "too competition orientated" and cancelling. Meaning I spent almost all day trying to find alternative insurance !!!

Never mind, ended up getting it even cheaper in the end!

Here are a few pics from my new gopro.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And as per, Brucey had to be in on the act trying to help

[​IMG]

Tom

6. Gary@APT

Gary@APT Trader
    Trader

ill hire you dyno cheap if you need it

7. Tom2741

Tom2741 Active Member

Thanks Gary.

If you did SD I'd get you to do it to be honest as you're so local! I do have a PFC in the cupboard but that's for the 4 once I finish playing race cars with this 1 haha!

Havnt got much on at work in the next few weeks apparently either so I will arrange a date with you to do the geo soon.

8. supamario666

supamario666 Trader
    Trader

I've just gone SD Tom and also had the fuel pump hardwired! will let you know how it feel's once it's back in my hands again! Car is looking well now i must say.

9. Gary@APT

Gary@APT Trader
    Trader

yeah its not my bag mate, what pfc you got? why not fit and map that?

10. Tom2741

Tom2741 Active Member

It's the non maf type and because I got it for our 4. I'd buy another but can't warrant the price when sd is pretty much as good and people are getting very good results from it.

Once I've got a few more bits done on it I need to get it over to you for geo set up!

11. Tom2741

Tom2741 Active Member

Hi all,

Time for a quick update. Some of you may have seen I went to the festival of Army Motorsport on tues and wends. This meant quite a big drive of 150 miles or so down to Basingstoke! After a quick wash I set off. All was going well, up until I was casually driving past Duxford museum and I heard a loud bang and something hitting the underside of the car as I drove over it. Immediately I thought it was a piece of the rubbish uk road but then the car started shaking!

I immediately pulled into a garage I was driving passed and jacked the car up. Expecting to find something massively wrong with a part if the running gear I climbed under the car, burned my arm and found nothing!

I then noticed coolant coming from the bottom of the rad, a lot of coolant.

[​IMG]

Opening the rad cap, there didn't seem to be much missing so I started the car up and sure enough it started to go down, however I still couldn't see where from. After a few minutes the fan kicked in. I then knew what the shaking was!!!

I turned the car off and inspected the fan to find this!!!

[​IMG]

Somehow it must have bounced off the road, onto my block and into the fan housing doing this.

[​IMG]

This consequently put a hole in the rad, behind the fan which was why it wasn't obvious for me to see!

Wondering what to do, I went into the garage and got some rad weld. This seemed to do the job and got me to the event and home again.

Job for this afternoon is to steal the koyo rad off out IV and fit that so I can go to the Norwich meet tomorrow.

In the mean time, the OC of Army Motorsport sports cars is getting onto 1 of our sponsors, RADTEK, to see if I can get a new 1 through sponsorship. Oh and we're asking for an intercooler too just for good measure.

So yeah, my crap luck strikes again! But if I can get some new free stuff then it might have been worth all the stress!

Tom

12. Billy MR

So how much so far have you got for free Thomas?

13. Tom2741

Tom2741 Active Member

Lifeline gave me about a grands worth of kit free! And I've had some pretty hefty discounts from Ross etc. still cost me a small fortune tho lol!

14. Tom2741

Tom2741 Active Member

Hi all,

Pretty big update, but as I've been busy with work I Havnt got many pics.

Firstly, I got fully kitted out with all the gear (still no idea) and got my race licence.

[​IMG]

Also, if you cast your minds back, I had a problem with the first race battery. I used a stock sized one to tide me over for a while and then the very nice people at DMS Technologies sent me a shiny new Varley race batter...for nothing !

[​IMG]

Other than that, the cars been running great. I've been playing with the map a bit and it feels very strong, despite being very safe still.

MOST IMPORTANT NEWS...... I've booked my first race meeting for this weekend. It will comprise of 20min qualifying on Saturday and a 20 min lap consistency race followed by a 30min persuite race on Sunday.

Today I bought some EXE TC suspension, from Ross W, as I really wasn't happy with the tired tien flex's that are on the car at pressant.

So tomorrow's going to be a VERY busy day. I need to swap the suspension, get the car on a trailer that I'm not sure it'll fit on yet, tow it to gary@apt for geo and then get to Snetterton to help set up the Army Teams paddock area! Good job I'm only around 15mins away!

Wish me luck!

Tom

15. Tom2741

Tom2741 Active Member

So for those interested, that's day 1 and qualifying done.

Scruineering was a bit of a **** about but on things I thought were fine haha!

Qualified 3rd which I'm reasonably pleased with, however my times were horrendous!

The car is handling like a bag of crap as I lost ayc/abs!!!

Hopefully I'll get to fit my semi slicks tomorrow so at least I won't have that disadvantage from everyone else.

Keep posted for 2 race reports tomorrow!!!

16. Billy MR

Lost AYC?

17. Tom2741

Tom2741 Active Member

Yeah pumps decided to give up!!!

18. Tom2741

Tom2741 Active Member

So as promised the race report.

Race 1-stupidly before the race I decided to dial in a bit more camber to get rid of yesterday's under steer. Unfortunately this completely wrecked the handling all together! To that end I had to pull off during the sighting lap!!! With the worlds quickest pit stop, I got it put back to how it was and restarted from the pits, only a lap behind! After all of that I came technically last, despite being 4th fastest. The results are yet to come out as it's worked out on lap average as to who actually wins!

Race 2-with fire in my belly and suspension fully sorted, I was keen to get going! This race was on a pursuit basis going from yesterday's qualifying times. I was due to leave 5 secs after the car in front of me. Unfortunately, 1min 10secs I finally got released from the pit lane!!! Because of this I ran the whole race up to the last 3 laps on my own! The only car with more if a handicap got left! I ended up about +52 secs, so taking off the min and 5secs I would've been well and truly up there!!!

For a first race meeting it has been nothing short of awesome!

Thanks to all the Army Racing Team, my sponsors, friends, Troll Tuning and the wife!!!!

19. danevo5

danevo5 New Member

Sounds like a good effort for your first race well done . Shame about the pit lane start though .

20. Billy MR

Well done tom mate, got any pictures?