1. Welcome. We have only just upgraded so there may be a few little niggles and issues! Please let us know when you find them! And enjoy the super shiny new forums

Refurbish Your Floor Mats By Celica-Boy

Discussion in 'How To' started by Celica-Boy, Nov 1, 2010.

Advert:
  1. Celica-Boy

Celica-Boy New Member

I thought I'd share my "Car Improvements" how-to's/tricks/ideas with all you car enthusiasts out there.

I will try and update this thread as I go along working on various cars with different ways of improving the looks.

Starting off with "Worn Out Mats"

If you've got the original mats that came with the car from the dealership and they are looking a bit worn/worse for wear, instead of buying a new set or a cheap universal set, why not save some money and spend some time tidying them up.

Start with removing them from the car and giving them a good hoover, then wash them using quality carpet cleaner (I tend to use AutoGlym Interior shampoo/Hi-Foam Interior Shampoo) and a clean damp micro-fibre cloth.
    You want to spray the carpet cleaner all over the mat and then scrub it in with the damp micro-fibre cloth turning it over when it absorbs the dirt, when the entire cloth is dirty wash under the tap, rinse and scrub again. Keep doing this until the cloth absorbs no more dirt then leave the mat to dry naturally.

NOTE: Do not stick mats in the washing machine as this can deform them and rip off any badges that are on the mat

Once dry, if the mat has any fraying on the edges, just cut these off to keep the edges looking neat.

Now you’ll probably notice on the drivers mat the heel pad still looks dirty/discoloured like in the pic below. (Pic was taken after the mat was cleaned)

[​IMG]

Well if it does, I would suggest getting some Black Dye Spray, (I used AutoGlym Black Dye) then mask off the mat around the heel pad using masking tape.
    [​IMG]

Then just spray the heel pad with the black dye using light coats. Don't soak it, it's best to spray a light coat letting it dry and add another coat until it looks evenly black all over the heel pad then leave the mat to dry before removing the masking tape.
    This is what it will look like when finished.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. RSmark

RSmark Member

I chucked mine in the washing machine, noticed the badge had started to peel so stuck it back on with fabric glue, just need my mat dyed next.

3. ElDopesta

ElDopesta New Member

If you are going to make a regular thing of this Celica Boy, I suggest that you post the threads up in the How To Section ;)

This one will be moved over for you as soon as a little time is made available.

Let me now by PM what the topic to be covered will be and I will tell you what the Title should be.

My plan is to have every topic in the section catalogued in alphabetical order which will make for easier reference.

El

4. dic

dic New Member

we have a how to section??

5. ElDopesta

ElDopesta New Member

Yes we do buddy!!!

When I had it set up originally, I wanted it to be a section that members could refer to so that they could carry out services and other tasks themselves, thereby cutting out the Dealers and local Garages from the equation ;)

I planned to document all types of jobs that come into the Clinic by way of Photos and clear, helpful, step by step instructions that would include a listing of what tools are required for each job and the best way of getting it done.

To date, as you may have guessed already, I have never got around to doing it but I still have plans to start!!!

Nice to see that Celica Boy has started it off and I look forward to seeing a lot more ;)

It might even serve as motivation for me to get my act together! :whistling: :whistling: :whistling:

El

6. DanSW20

DanSW20 New Member

do it el!

'know ur 2' and 'diy modifications' were my fave on mr2oc.

7. ElDopesta

ElDopesta New Member

Seeing as you asked nicely buddy, I might start tomorrow!!!

Just don't hold me to it!!!

El

8. dic

dic New Member

sounds good maybe i could do a "how to" on fitting mudflaps:whistling::whistling::whistling::razz:

9. ElDopesta

ElDopesta New Member

Why not???

Just read the rules in the How To Section and away you go.

Just make sure that you log everything!

El

10. Wayne'o

Wayne'o Active Member

hey i'm liking this thread

11. Celica-Boy

Celica-Boy New Member

Here's another one for you!

El, just move this one to the relevant section too, when you’re ready or if you want me to repost it, then just let me know.

"Polishing Your Tail Pipe"

If your tailpipe is looking like it's been on the car a few years, why not make it look new again.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

First off, just wipe over the tailpipe with a damp micro-fibre cloth, when the tailpipe is dry again, you want to start removing the tar spots the tailpipe has accumulated over the years, you can do this by using AutoGlym Intensive Tar Remover or White Spirit and some kitchen roll. Its best to leave the tar remover/white spirit to soak on the tar spots for about 3 mins, then gently rub them off otherwise you end up scrubbing them off and marking the chrome, once you’ve used a clean bit of kitchen roll to remove the tar remover/white spirit residue your ready for the polishing stage.

I always used Mequiars Metal Polish, but there are others out there which work the same way. Now get hold of an old rag (I tend to use socks because there 100% cotton and cheap, cut in half and turn inside out, using the neck of the sock to polish on and the rest of the sock to polish/buff off), now put some of the metal polish on the rag and using your index & middle finger rub it on the tailpipe. Now your notice if using a white/coloured rag that it will turn black, once this happens use a new piece of rag and continue until you can start to see the chrome shine again, then just buff off the polish residue and you should end up with something like this.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. DanSW20

DanSW20 New Member

good tips, never thought of using socks! ideal!

13. ElDopesta

ElDopesta New Member

Looks like you did a BOLD special and replaced an old back box with a new one!!!! :whistling: :whistling: :whistling:

Are the before and after pics from the same car???

Just realised......there are two cars there!

El

14. Celica-Boy

Celica-Boy New Member

There's 3 cars there, 1x Celica and 2x different 200sx S14a's, just look at the reg and the different exhaust's, none were replaced:)

And yes the before and after pics are of the same cars.

15. ElDopesta

ElDopesta New Member

I was just winding you up buddy!

When you decide what you want to post up next, do it in the How to Section, it will just make life a little easier ;)

Dividing posts into sub categories and then exporting them into another section is way too time consuming.

I look forward to seeing many more threads like this one.......On a daily basis!!!!

El

16. 1982ollie

1982ollie New Member

Cool thread!