Refurbish Your Stainless Exhaust By DanSW20

DanSW20

DanSW20

this is continued from celica-boys exhaust cleaning tips really.
If your looking to buy a second hand exhaust, dont rule out the really caked ones. As long as its stainless it will come back very good!

firstly the exhaust i did in its original state.

i had been looking for one of these for ages (fujitsubo legalis R for the MR2) and with a retail price of just under £1k i couldn't justify buying one new...

I won this on ebay for £100, it was listed very badly and at first glance i thought it was a 'poorflow' item!

i dont have any mid way pics just a before and after..

step 1: give it a good wash

2: use tar remover and remove all the nasty bits

3: then get yourself down to maplins ang buy one of these kits

(item code: N32CY priced £9.99)
use the most abrasive one (with associated polish)and go over the entire exhaust, this will help you find the really stubborn bits.

4:then time for the 1200grit wet & dry, use this wet on the really stubborn areas that dont seem to want to lift, it will leave marks but they will come out!

5: now onto the polishing wheels properly, use a plug in drill not a battery drill as it wont be up to the job.
use all 3 polishing wheels in the correct order (most abrasive > least abrasive) along with the associated polish for each wheel.

6: once thats done just a bit of hand polishing with autosol/meguires, etc.

7: stand back and enjoy the fruits of your labour.. and then hang it under your car

ElDopesta

ElDopesta

Well done Dan!

I have one of those exhausts on my MR2 right now!!!

El

J

jp night kid

Nice work there didnt think you could get back to the original bling from factory. will at buying second hand more often if stuff can come out like that..

J

jp night kid

i had a fujitsubo (if that is how you spell it) 3" on my first skyline it was rude boy had the performance and was quiet till you were on full chat plus it used to pop blue flames.

evogeof

evogeof

Super Moderator
fantastic work, now wots your address so we all can seny you our ss parts for a shine up :whistling:

ElDopesta

ElDopesta

Read the post Steve, there were 3 wheels involved.........................before you say it buddy, I am not talking about Del Boy's Motor :razz:

El

DanSW20

DanSW20

cheers for the comments, as el said 3 wheels and 3 waxes/polishes were used from maplin.

if anyone else has a go, for an example time wise, this took about 8 hours so not too bad imo, an evo exhaust would require much less time i think as there is not much visible. hope this inspires you all! lol.

ElDopesta

ElDopesta

8 Hours is a fair bit of time!

What I do is use a wire brush attachment on an air tool and plenty of WD40, followed up with Brake cleaner.

Once the brake cleaner has evaporated, I use some Stainless Polish by Wurth.

Usually takes me around 40 minutes.

El

Nickygixer-k5

Nickygixer-k5

Great results there butty. Personaly I would just take it to my mate Peter at Spec-R and get him to do it for me:whistling::whistling: