1. Welcome. We have only just upgraded so there may be a few little niggles and issues! Please let us know when you find them! And enjoy the super shiny new forums

Something needs to be done

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box and Bug Reports' started by Billy MR, Jul 5, 2012.

Advert:
  1. Phil74

Phil74 Trader
    Trader

I know this forum is free to join and that if membership cards were issued it would be an issue to how these would be paid for but if even a membership fee was introduced at £5 to cover costs of a membership card. a sticker and postage and it was compulsory to have a membership card with a number to register before being able to advertise on the for sale or wanted section a database would ne formed then with an address for members. It is just a way to safe guard as at least then in order to receive the membership card and number an address must be given for postal delivery. When an individual takes payment from genuine members for parts/goods and the members do not receive the parts/goods this is a kick in the teeth for them plus being out of pocket and in some cases not able to get the payment refunded to them, which reflects on the forum and will make it difficult to sell/swap parts/goods in the for sale section if people keep getting scammed. With an address that is registered to members the individuals would be more reluctant to try and scam members or take payment and deliver what was paid for. I have had this happen to me on another forum twice and i always demand now for the seller to give me their address and contact telephone numbers which i will check before making payment but something must be done to safeguard members in the future making payments for parts/goods they have bought from other members on this forum.

2. fq-craigus

fq-craigus Well-Known Member

I have to agree to be honest, at least if there was a £5 fee to join its not too much for genuine people to be put off and it's enough to stop most of the chancers. Plus if someone does get ripped off the details can be passed on to local auth and they can do the relevant chasing.

3. Phil74

Phil74 Trader
    Trader

Totally...At least this will safe guard members a little better from the spammers and chancers. It will not resolve members that have already been scammed but at least will put in place a safe guard if anyone does try to scam members again. £5 is nothing if it would cover a membership card, membership number and a sticker but at least to have the members details and address stored on a database which should help put in place measures to prevent members being scammed.

4. Billy MR

Billy MR Well-Known Member

I'd be happy to pay a fee to help other members feel safe in trading

raph likes this.
  5. Phil74

Phil74 Trader
    Trader

I think we all would mate :)

6. fq-craigus

Mee too

7. Phil74

Phil74 Trader
    Trader

:)

Last edited: Aug 20, 2012
  8. 6.5ghost

6.5ghost Member

I'm a victim. The best I think would stop new members from selling. or seller must have a reputation/ track record proof of genuine sales before able to sell up. Or arrange your own courier, better still cash on delivery.
    Create a centralised account for buyer seller on this website where monies are deposited into and paid to seller only when goods have been recieved. rather like a middle man between paypal / evoowners and buyer- this is only a suggestion and is open to comments.

9. joey

joey Member

I'm on sites and you need over 300 posts to sell anything.
    If someone posts that much you would have a good idea of what the person is like

10. fq-craigus

Selling rules to be implemented. Geof usually does a good job at making sure the basic rules are followed but for some reason a sale in particular slipped through the net.

Pics must be included
    Item location
    Contact details must be provided
    Price
    And payment options.

I think also to include should be a piece of paper with username written on it

raph likes this.
  11. 6.5ghost

6.5ghost Member

how about a photo of all membership, this way we can all be tracked

12. raph

raph Active Member

yeah but if scammers steal pics of other ppls cars off the mlr for eg,and sell the bits here..whats to stop em gathering pics from social networks.

better = pic of member with their car.

just too much scamming going on again.

13. jacko172

jacko172 New Member

Think we may have another scammer we will see in next few days if he replies to anyone I've messages nick to see what he thinks first !!

14. Phil74

Phil74 Trader
    Trader

This matter is getting out of hand if there yet is another scammer on the forum:eek:. I have stressed for the introduction of membership fees and to have members names and addresses on a database then to help prevent scammers. :disgusted::mad:

15. fq-craigus

Another..... Ffs this is ridiculous. jacko I really hope you not been done again that would just be real bad luck

16. Phil74

Phil74 Trader
    Trader

If this has happened yet again on this site something must be done to protect members or it will get difficult for honest people to sell parts on this forum and also members to stray from here which would be very disappointing :thinking::arms:. I am happy to pay a membership fee or even register my details and address here if it helps to prevent members paying for goods and not receiving them as we all work hard for our money.:mad:

17. jacko172

jacko172 New Member

Look in the for sale section and mikey-evo7 is breaking a car and there is a lad on there saying he not received anything yet take a read

18. Phil74

Phil74 Trader
    Trader

Ive taken a look and again there has been no photos provided for parts that are for sale. This may be a delay in the post due to bank holiday last week but i would query this. Anyone who has paid for parts and not received them i would suggest you all contact Nick and stress what has happened and also this is becoming a regular issue on this forum and something must be done to help prevent this being repeated. I am gutted for anyone who has paid and been scammed as i have had this to me on another forum twice but i did get my money returned after chasing the scammer down.

19. fq-craigus

If it is from mikey I would say its a genuine delay or somewhat as I havent had parts off him but he is a long standing member, I have spoke about parts from him before not sure if he is the guy who gave me a set of brake discs. On the whole summat needs to be done though but nick seems to be dragging his heels a bit

20. Nick

Nick Superstar Admin
    Staff Member

I am sorry but that is BS.:mad::mad::mad:
    I do a lot of checking on people behind the scenes, have put in numerous measures to try and reduce the risk. Whilst it may not be all that public it certainly goes on.

Someone suggest something which is actually going to solve the problem but doesnt kill the forum?

A membership fee is not going to happen. It would kill the forum dead. Simple as. Minimum posts is pointless, generates more problems and doesnt solve a thing.

Charging a fee for selling is something I am considering but I do think this will servilely reduce the amount of items advertised.