1. Welcome. We have only just upgraded so there may be a few little niggles and issues! Please let us know when you find them! And enjoy the super shiny new forums

Something needs to be done

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box and Bug Reports' started by Billy MR, Jul 5, 2012.

Advert:
  1. fq-craigus

fq-craigus Well-Known Member

So try and offer something for te money for a membership, just a card I can see it killing the forum. How about some goodies, speak to our traders see what you can do think outside the box. I appreciate behind the scenes you are looking at ip addresses or what ever you do I don't understand it, this place has real potential you just have to want to make it work

2. Nick

Nick Superstar Admin
    Staff Member

I will not be charging a membership fee. I know this would kill the forum.
    I have gone over the long story with all the reasons before so im not doing it again but I will not be charging a membership fee.
    I may on the other hand introduce a fee for being able to sell which would cover the time and costs to provide some verification of address etc.

3. Phil74

Phil74 Trader
    Trader

If you introduce a fee for selling items members will sell them elsewhere or on ebay so this will kill the forum as will members paying for goods they dont receive.

A fee for membership would also cover the costs of a member number or a pin that would be required before people can register as a member on this forum. This would be posted out to the persons address which in turn they register it online to become a member on this site and you then have address deatails for all members.

Send all members on this forum an email asking them if a fee or even £2 was introduced would they pay it and remain on this forum including the reasons for introducing a membership fee and registering address details.

This is a tricky situation but members will leave this forum if they cant buy parts and not have them delivered. The members on this forum are generally very helpful with questions to any members who have asked them and advice is always given. This alone is worth a minimal membership fee just to cover costs for registration and postage.

I do not gain anything in offering discounts to members but i do hope this is an incentive for existing members and future members and would be worth a membership fee even if it was to buy Head Bolts from Speed Freak Engineering that would save the member £9-13 alone for this single item.

This is only a suggestion but i honestly can not see any other method to introduce without it costing a lot more time and money to put in place. i am glad i am not administrator of this site and do not envy you for this Nick.

4. Nick

Nick Superstar Admin
    Staff Member

I dont agree and experiance tells me im right.
    Sure there may be a dent, where people only register to sell but dont see the value of a few £ to do it, but most people dont register to sell they register to find info and to join in the fun.

I bet 90% of members have been members on other forums when they had other cars. People migrate between cars and so forums.
    I repeat, I know a fee would kill the forum. I have seen it happen (and picked up the scraps when it does all fall down). The forum is not big enough to sustain a 50% loss of active members (which is about the smallest loss of members I have witnessed).
    Also when I took the forum on I said I would not charge for membership and I stand by that. I want this place to be the friendly and free place to go for Evo chat. Becoming a place where you have to pay to get in is not what this place is about.

5. Phil74

Phil74 Trader
    Trader

The balls in your court but members can not buy parts on here and not have them delivered. You have your work cut for you to try and find a solution to stop this happening. The unfortunate thing is that the members that did buy parts and not receive them not only were out of pocket but are some of the members that are always posting in this forum, having a chat and general evo discussions. I know where you are coming from Nick to certain degree and this forum should be like a family but some rotten apples have made their way into the forum and will be a difficult matter for you to resolve and try to prevent in the future from reoccurring. I personally like the members in this forum and have spoke to some of them in person, not like other members in other forums i am a member of. I hope you can find a way to deal with matter.

6. rx jamie

rx jamie New Member

im wondering if this scamming is down to one person?

7. fq-craigus

Nope, if only

8. evogeof

evogeof Super Moderator

Just stop private sales. Then just stick them on eBay and put the link up here. Then no now moans and it's then paypals problem

jacko172 and evoaps like this.
  9. Phil74

Phil74 Trader
    Trader

But not everyone is registered with ebay to sell, buying off ebay is the easy part. The police should do more about this but they dont.

10. evoaps

evoaps Well-Known Member

i thought this too :D

11. Nick

Nick Superstar Admin
    Staff Member

Private sales are a great and important resource for the community. I wont let a few bad apples ruin it for everyone.

12. Matt-evo-v

Matt-evo-v New Member

Not been on here for a while, quite surprised that the thread is still as active as last time I was on (and posting).

Nick, I certainly don't envy the position you're in.

A few things that have been mentioned though. A membership fee will not (IMO) deter any scammers, the other site charges £35 and is still hit with scammers, £5 will do nothing (IMO)

The idea of using £5 fee for a membership card, that is then sent to the applicants address. This is all well and good, but the address could only be released to the police, not members......and I could be wrong, but it could well be deemed as a civil matter, in which case the police will have nothing to do with it (parts as described, damage etc etc) and will only get involved if the parts are not received.

I think all forsale ads should include a paypal address (not hard to set one up, even I managed it :angel:) and it would be strongly advised that payment isn't sent as gifts (may seem obvious, but the amount of people on the other site that still send as gift, despite the amount of 'Ripped off' threads, is quite unbelievable.

13. Dave Brennun

Dave Brennun New Member

I got band from over the road for sticking my oar into an argument that El was having with an idiot moderator (that owned a yellow evo) about member getting ripped off over there on a daily basis.

So believe me when I say that is a topic I take very seriously.

Me neither pal, so to see this sort of stuff still going on is a shame.

I agree, 50 posts is not the answer at all. It can be done in around 20 minutes and seem very genuine depending on what threads are posted on.

I think people will keep getting ripped off because they ain't vigilant enough...

£5 fee is not the answer, over the road is charging way more but they have more then their fare share of con merchants.

HERE'S THE SOLUTION (probably the best idea I heard in ages!:

14. martinthegooner

martinthegooner Well-Known Member

well something def needs to be done because we seem to keep getting newbies joining just to sell and then vanishing.

Billy MR likes this.
  15. Billy MR

Billy MR Well-Known Member

That's what's I was about to post...

Bloody crazy

16. Nick

Nick Superstar Admin
    Staff Member

Are these people following the rules? IE Posting their noob thread in the introductions?
    I have only spotted one flouting the rules recently.
    If they are have you reported the post (the warning triangle under their name)?

As I have said before I will not make it so people have to post a load of times to post a sale thread. If you dont want to buy from a newby (which is very understandable and personally I wouldnt) its simple, dont.

17. fq-craigus

I personally although agree with the ideas in the thread also see nicks dilemma. I now just either boycot the threads or correct them if I can be bothered. It's clear no other measures will be put in place so just not answering the thread will cause a person not interested in the forum to disappear of their own accord

18. supamario666

supamario666 Trader
    Trader

Tell you what guys this is a cracking topic over the Road and I have noticed it starting elsewhere too!!

Very hard subject to tackle and keep in toe!!

19. Nick

Nick Superstar Admin
    Staff Member

Yep.
    Personally I would very rarely buy from someone with no reputation but some do and some people get bargains. If its something like a car it will be seen before buying and at the end of the day the newb wont stick around if they are selling the car, but the buyer may register to contact the seller and then become active. So long as no one gets hurt (and they wont if people take care) no harm is done.

20. j dog

j dog Member

If somebody wants to join up just to sell something then let them.

If it's a car, check it over and if it's crap leave a post on the for sale thread.

If it's a part, go and buy it in person or meet half way. It's always a risk buying with paypal and that sort of thing without seeing the product.

You can always check the person's profile before thinking of buying.